Kamakura Visitor's Guide

Tourist spots

Tourist spots

Kakuonji Temple

photo

Kakuonji Temple originated from the okura Yakushido Buddha Hall built in 1218 by Hojo Yoshitoki, which was converted in 1296 into a Buddhist temple by Hojo Sadatoki with Shinne as its founding priest. It was continually given protection by the Hojo family, Emperor Godaigo, and Ashikaga. Opening hours are as below. A temple monk will guide guests around the quiet compounds, allowing visitors to make pilgrimages to various Buddhist images. The principal image is the wooden Yakushi Sanzon statue. Kamakura's 24 Jizo No. 3.

world heritage

More info

421 Nikaido, Kamakura City
0467-22-1195
High school students and above: ¥500 Elementary and junior high school students:¥200
10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00 (12:00 on only Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays). Closed on rainy days, the month of August, and 12/20 - 1/7.
Yakushido/wooden Yakushi Sanzon statue (national treasure), statues of the 12 divine generals, Ashikaga Takauji pillar. Seated wooden statue of Aizen Myo-O. Standing wooden statue of Jizo (also know as the Black Jizo, national treasure). Cave of thirteen Buddhas. Former Utsumi family house (characteristic of large village headmaster houses during the middle Edo period).
[Autumn] Colorful leaves
Black Jizo Festival (August 10th), Photography is prohibited .
Public toilet available
From JR Kamakura Station: At Terminal No.4 take a bus bound for Ootonomiya, get off at the last stop and A 8-minute walk

▲back to top