Main content starts here.

Kakuonji Temple


Kakuonji Temple originated from the okura Yakushido Buddha Hall built in 1218 by Hojo Yoshitoki, which was converted in 1296 into a Buddhist temple by Hojo Sadatoki with Shinne as its founding priest. It was continually given protection by the Hojo family, Emperor Godaigo, and Ashikaga. Opening hours are as below. A temple monk will guide guests around the quiet compounds, allowing visitors to make pilgrimages to various Buddhist images. The principal image is the wooden Yakushi Sanzon statue. Kamakura's 24 Jizo No. 3.

Basic information


421 Nikaido, Kamakura City

By bus : From JR Kamakura Station: At Terminal No.4 take a bus bound for Daitonomiya, get off at the last stop and A 8-minute walk
Telephone number +81-467-22-1195
What to see Yakushido/wooden Yakushi Sanzon statue (national treasure), statues of the 12 divine generals, Ashikaga Takauji pillar. Seated wooden statue of Aizen Myo-O. Standing wooden statue of Jizo (also know as the Black Jizo, national treasure). Cave of thirteen Buddhas. Former Utsumi family house (characteristic of large village headmaster houses during the middle Edo period).
Flower report [Autumn] Colorful leaves
About visiting/About the facility Visit fees/Entry fees : High school students and above: ¥500
Elementary and junior high school students:¥200
Visit hours/Entry hours : 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00 (12:00 on only Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays). Closed on rainy days, the month of August, and 12/20 - 1/7.
Parking Not available


Black Jizo Festival (August 10th)

[Photography is prohibited]
[Public toilet available]



Kamakura city hall civic life department tourism section


18-10, Onarimachi,Kamakura-shi, Kanagawa, 248-8686, Japan

Telephone number


E-mail address

Kamakura city hall

ホーム > Kakuonji Temple